SESSION DISCOGRAPHY * ALBUMS DISCOGRAPHY * SINGLES DISCOGRAPHY

Country and crossover since 1920s and my favorite artists of all genres too...
Any help welcome!
hillbilly@centrum.cz
praguefrank@seznam.cz

Continuation of the blog on address

http://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.cz/



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Stu Davis

David Stewart, *01-07-1921 in Regina, Saskatchewan, CAN, +25-03-2007
by Praguefrank, Mario Manciotti
SESSIONS
October 1946 unknown - Stu Davis and The Northwesterners (Stu Davis [vcl], Tony Mottola [gt], Vaughn Horton [steel-1], ? [bass], Bertram Hirsch [fiddle], Joe Biviano [accordion], Henry Questa [clarinet])
001 S.R. 1865-1 WHAT A FOOL I WAS -1 H 7029/LP 112
002 RAINBOW AT MIDNIGHT Sonora H 7021
003 THE BOTTOM FELL OUT OF THE SKY H 7021
004 S.R. 1868-3 CROSSROADS H 7029/LP-112
005 I TIPPED MY HAT AND SLOWLY RODE AWAY H 7024
006 I CAN BEAT YOU DOIN‘ (WHAT YOU’RE DOIN‘ TO ME) H 7024
007 S.R.-1878-2 LAND, SKY AND WATER Sonora 7027/LP 112
008 S.R.-1877-2 DARLIN', NOW I KNOW THE REASON WHY Sonora 7027/LP 112
October 1947 RCA Victor Studio, 155 E, 24th St., Manhattan, New York City – Stu Davis (Stu Davis [vcl], Tony Mottola [gt], Vaughn Horton [steel], ? /Ray Sims [bass], Bertram Hirsch [fiddle], Joe Biviano [accordion])
009 WHEN THE SNOWBIRDS CROSS THE ROCKIES RCA 20-2750 58-0065/LP 112
010 D7-VB-2606 WELCOME BACK TO MY HEART RCA 20-2750 58-0065/LP 112
011 TOO FAR APART 20-2909 58-0077/LP 112
012 SWEETHEART OF YESTERDAY 20-2909 58-0077/LP 112
013 CRYING FOR YOU 20-3054 58-0087/LP 112
014 THE DUDE IN THE TEN GALLON HAT 20-3054 58-0087/LP 112
015 ALWAYS KEEP YOUR PROMISE 20-3212
016 I'M GONNA LEAVE TOWN 20-3212
June 1949 Vancouver, British Columbia, CAN – Stu Davis (Stu Davis [vcl/gt], Pat Gerow [steel], Jim Day [bass])
017 I LOOKED FOR LOVE Aragon AR-203/LP 112
018 IN DADDY’S FOOTSTEPS Aragon AR-203/LP 112
019 20003 DESERTED Aragon AR-207/LP 112
020 20004 WHY SHOULD I SEND YOU FLOWERS? Aragon AR-207/LP 112
July 1949 Edmonton, Albertar, CAN - Stu Davis & His Radio Wranglers (Stu Davis [vcl/gt], Wally McDonald [bass], Ted Preston [fiddle], Doug Goldsmith [accordion])
021 CANADIAN WALTZ Aragon AR-177/LP 112
022 CHILD OF DIVORCE Aragon AR-177/LP-112
1950 Edmonton, Alberta, CAN – Stu Davis (Stu Davis [vcl/gt], Johnny Allen [steel], Curly Gurlock [bass])
023 FATE OF THE FLYING ENTERPRISES Aragon ALP-109/LP 112
1952 Calgary, Alberta, CAN – Stu Davis (Stu Davis [vcl/gt])
024 20071 I WENT TO YOUR WEDDING Aragon AR-224/LP 112
025 unknown title Aragon AR-224
Stu Davis recorded after 1952, incomplete info in albums and singles list


ALBUMS
London [CAN] EB. 2 Stu Davis Invites You To Saddle Your Worries To A Song: They're Burnin' Down The House I Was Brung Up In; The Cowboy's Prayer; The Little Shirt My Mother Made For Me; Shepherd Of Mine; Diggin' With A Hoe; I Still Do; Take Me Back To My Boots And Saddle; I Took It; Carrier Pigeon; The Piggy Back Song - 57 (recorded 1956, Montreal)
London [CAN] EB. 4 Rope Around The Sun: Honey, Baby Mine; The Hangin' Tree; Fort Worth Jail; What A Fool Was I; The Gangster's Warning; The Rose Upon The Bible; Swaller-Tailed Coat; Ripple Rock; Dark As A Dungeon; New Broom Boogie – 5-
London [CAN] EB. 6 Stu Davis Salutes The Western Stars: Let's Say Goodbye (Like We Said Hello); Lilli Marlene; I'm Going Back To Whur I Come From; Wedding Bells; There's A Star-Spangled Banner (Waving Somewhere); Mother, The Queen Of My Heart; You Are My Sunshine; Cool Water; You're The Only Star In My Blue Heaven; Mommy, Please Stay Home With Me – 5- (also on Richmond 20090)
London [CAN] EB. 9 Boothill Ballads And Songs Of The Cowboy Troubadour: (tracks unknown) –
London [CAN] EB. 26 Red River Jamboree: Driftwood On The River; Paddle Your Own Canoe; Blue Guitar; Né-Hah-Nee; Dust; It Takes A Heap Of Dreamin' (To Dream Your Blues Away); The Kentuckian Song; Rockin' Alone (In An Old Rockin'chair); Waltz Of The Roses; Legend Of The White Buffalo – 6- w. Jimmie Pirie
London [CAN] EB. 33 Stu Davis Salutes The Western Stars Volume 2: At Mail Call Today; Four Walls; Cry Of The Wild Goose; In Daddy`s Footsteps; When It`s Springtime In Alaska; Brave Man; What A Fool I Was; Country Boy; May You Never Be Alone; I`ve Got A Woman`s Love – 6-
London [CAN] EB. 35 Stu Davis Presents Jimmie Pirie's Guitar-Ama: (tracks unknown) – ca 63 w. Jimmie Pirie
London [CAN] EB. 39 Boothill Ballads And Songs Of The Cowboy Troubadour: Six Notches; Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie (The Song Of The Dying Cowboy); The Ballad Of Curly Joe; He's Gone Up The Trail; Ride Clear Of This Town; The Streets Of Laredo; No More I Want To Roam Again; Rusty Spurs; The Chase; Five Bullets In My Old Six-Shooter – 6-
London [CAN] EB. 49 Just Plain Folks: Gold Diggers; When I'm Gone You'll Soon Forget; Little Crushed Rose; Small Town Girl; I See The Moon; My Nellie's Blue Eyes; (God Gave Us) These Wonderful Things; There's No Colour Bar In Heaven; The Ballad Of The Minstrel Boy; Just Plain Folks – 6-
London [CAN] EB. 58 Stu Davis Souvenirs: Dear Mr. Disc Jockey; Wild Weed; Parking MeterBlues; I'd Be Glad To Forget You; Old And In The Way; Broken Love; The Legend Of The Jeebi; Honky Tonk Serenade; Queen Of The Twilight; A Wedding For Mary – 6-
London [CAN] EB. 69 Stu Davis meets The Pathfinders and The Colonials in a Nashville Hootenanny: In The Stilly Night; The Song Of The Violet; Green Grow The Lilacs (w. The Colonials); Get Away Old Man Get Away; Between two Trees; The Spinning Wheel; In The Pines (w. The Colonials); Smoky mountain Bill; The Ballad Of A Black Sheep; The Girl That I Merry – 6-
London [CAN] EB. 91 Have Another Helping Of Stu: (tracks unknown) – 6-
London [CAN] EB. 96 The Stu Davis Show: Roll Along Kentucky Moon; Oklahoma Sal; Abilene; Blindman River Break-Up; When The Work's All Done This Fall; When It's Lamplightin' Time (In The Valley); The Ballad Of Cowboy Jack; The Song Of The Swallow; One More Ride; The Woodsman's Prayer – 6-
London [CAN] EB.103 The Sound Of Country Music: Anita, You're Dreamin'; Devoted To You; Silent Trails; Stepping Stone; Have I Told You Lately (That I Love You); You'll Come Walkin' Back; The Everlasting Hills; Cryin' Time; Teardrops In My Heart; Maple Sugar Sweetheart – 6- w. Duane Davis
London [CAN] EB. 107 The Stu Davis Centennial Album: A Place Called Newfoundland; This Is My Land; On An Old Covered Bridge; My Home In Nova Scotia; The Legend Of The Lonesome Tree; The Legend Of The Jeebi; That Old Red River Run; In The Valley Of Qu'appelle; Yonder On The Rollin' Plain; The Mountains Of Home; The Homesteader's Lament - 67
Dominion [CAN] LSP 48510 The Songs And Music Of Stu Davis, Trail Ridin' Troubadour: All My Life; I Don't Think She Even Misses Me; You've Worn Out Your Welcome; My Special Book Of Memories (Featuring Duane Davis, Banjo); Homestead Fever; Outcast; A Garden Spot On The Moon; The Ballad Of Banjo Bill; The Mountains Of Home; Travelin' On; I Wonder When My Baby's Comin' Home; The Legend Of The Lonesome Tree – 71
Birchmount [CAN] BM 575 Songs From The Heart of Johnny Canuck: I'm Gonna Change Everything; May You Never Be Alone; I've Got a Woman's Love; The Old Country Church; At Mail Call Today; Paddle Your Own Canoe; Love Song of the Winds; The Touch of God's Hand; Have You Forgotten; In Daddy's Footsteps - 75
Cattle [GER] LP-112 Let's Go Back To The Country With Canada's Cowboy Troubadour Stu Davis: Deserted; Child Of Divorce; I Looked For Love; In Daddy's Footsteps; Canadian Waltz; I Went To Your Wedding; Why Should I Send You Flowers?; The Dude In The Ten Gallon Hat; When The Snowbirds Cross The Rockies; Fate Of The Flying Enterprise; Crossroads; What A Fool I Was (#1); Land, Sky And Water; Welcome Back To My Heart; Crying For You; Sweetheart Of Yesterday; Too Far Apart; Darlin', Now I Know The Reason Why - 90
BACM [UK] CD D 237 Canada’s Cowboy Troubadour: Old And In The Way; They're Burning Down The House I Was Brung Up In; Always Keep Your Promise; Diggin' With A Hoe; Welcome Back To My Heart; Fort Worth Jail; The Gangster's Warning; I Took It; I'm Gonna Leave Town; The Little Shirt My Mother Made For Me; New Broom Boogie; Swaller Tail Coat; Take Me Back To My Boots And Saddle; When The Snowbirds Cross The Rockies; The Cowboy's Prayer; The Dude In The Ten Gallon Hat; A Wedding For Mary; Crying For You; Shepherd Of Mine; I Still Do; Sweetheart Of Yesterday; Carrier Pigeon; What A Fool I Was; The Piggy Bank Song; Dark As A Dungeon - 08

SINGLES
Sonora (1946)
H 7021 Rainbow At Midnight / The Bottom Fell Out Of The Sky – 46
H 7024 I Tipped My Hat And Slowly Rode Away / I Can Beat You Doin‘ (What You’re Doin‘ To Me) - 46
H 7027 Land, Sky and Water / Darlin', Now I Know The Reason Why – 46
H 7029 What A Fool I Was / Crossroads - 46
Bluebird [CAN]/*RCA Victor (1947)
58-0065/*20-2750 When The Snowbirds Cross The Rockies / Welcome Back To My Heart – 03-48
58-0077*20-2909 Too Far Apart / Sweetheart Of Yesterday – 06-48
58-0088/*20-3054 Crying For You / The Dude In The Ten Gallon Hat – 08-48
*20-3212 Always Keep Your Promise / I'm Gonna Leave Town – 11-48
Aragon [CAN]
AR-177 Candaian Waltz / Child Of Divorce - 49
AR-203 I Looked For Love / In Daddy's Footsteps -49
AR-207 Deserted Aragon / Why Should I Send You Flowers?
AR-224 I Went To Your Wedding /? - 52
London [CAN]
M.17080 Broken Love / Queen Of Twilight – ca 60
M.17320 Get Away Old Man, Get Away / Girl That I Marry - 63

No comments:

Post a Comment

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Michel Ruppli, not only for his books which I use daily, but also for a large amount of rare and unpublished data from his giant archive.
Thanks to all my friends - country music fans - in Czech Republic - Vladimir Pikora, Michal Gololobov, Milos Holecek, Tony Foglar, Rene Pavlik and Petr Vitous.
Thanks to Mario Manciotti for sending session details daily
Thanks to Kurt Rokitta for a lot of session info
Thanks to Bill Daniels for sharing a lot of labels info
Thanks to Lillies Ohlsson for many western swing contributions.
Thanks to Dick Grant for many artists files
Thanks to Thieu Van De Vorst for a lot of additions and corrections
Thanks to Goran Adolph for many rare albums info
Thanks to Hans Sandberg for many rare session data
Thanks to Chris Huskey for many sessions info.
Thanks to Kittra Moore for musicians and recording data
Thanks to Dik de Heer for many additions on rockabilly.
Thanks to Luiz Roberto Costa for helping me with the western genre.
Thanks to Wolf Ruediger Sommer, who not only sent me additional data, but is also watch-dog, correcting my typos and other errors.
Thanks to Robert Platt for priceless info on Canadian (but not only) artists.
Thanks to Phil Watson for hard work on Crown Prince of country music discography. Thanks to Walter Gabriel for filling the gaps in track listings of rare albums and various artists compilations.
Thanks to Kent Heineman for many independent recordings info
Thanks to Ken Nelson for bluegrass and more additions.
Thanks to Tony Middleton for RCA session info.
Thanks to Xavier Maire for interesting additions and for info on his website www.bopping.org.
Thanks to Henk Scholts for long time cooperation.
Thanks to Richard Price for miscellaneous session information
Thanks to Carl G. Cederblad for additions to sessionographies
Thanks to Paul Urbahns, Marc Alesina, Bill Millet, Bengt Wahlström, John Morris, Dominique Anglares, Pierre Monnery, Jeremy Roberts, Ben Collins, Alex Frazer-Harrison, K.F.Raizor, Ed Tabor, Mario Wildner, Ole Skjoldhøj, Eileen Sisk, Per Kammersgaard, David Bussey, Bill Marks for rare info on their favorite artists.
Thanks to Reginald Bartlette for info and additions of Columbia custom numbers.
Thanks to Katarina Fromm for various singles info.
Thanks to many others who sent some info - all are important.
Thanks to Richard Weize for his idea to produce projects, which have small commercial potential, but huge value for collectors - I spend a lot of money buying boxes and CDs, sometimes mainly because of the accompanying discographies.
Thanks also to Patrick Milligan, who created many discographies for Bear Family projects
Thanks to Marek Bozickovic for picture in head
And last but not least I would like to thank all who visit this blog - they come from more than 100 countries.